Thursday, July 21, 2005

Running to catch up

First, no- I haven't died. I'm just very, very busy.
I know what you're thinking, and no, I wasn't forgetting about, or not intending to blog about my family reunion. I just got a little out of order, that's all.

First of all, the big news this year belonged to my cousin. A huge kudos to him for having the guts to walk into a room full of family and say “you all remember my wife, don't you?” (It should be pointed out that he got himself hitched about three weeks prior to then, under a veritable veil of secrecy.) I could NEVER have done that, but it was obviously what they both wanted, and they're both really happy with the way they did things, and so, props and congratulations to them for doing what made them happy. More people should do the same!
The rest of the weekend was pleasant and restful- there was shopping for art glass for one aunt, talking books with another. Mom even managed to stop being so manic…a little…near the end…(no, really, she had a good time). And there was plenty of food!

Honestly, though, my aunt looking for art glass ought to have stayed an extra week- the following weekend, I spent all of Sunday with Laur, walking around downtown Toronto (so much sun- such a good tan!) and there were two street festivals, one of which was an amazing art exhibition. They had great glass!
We went out for lunch at a fantastic place called 'Everest', on Queen street, that had food from all around Mount Everest. They had a clever 'Free Tibet' platter- Tibetan dumplings surrounded by Chinese Chow Mein. It was witty but I didn't order it, so I don't know if it's tasty- we'll have to go back.
Then we went bead shopping, had dinner, and went to see Batman Begins, which was not a total waste of time, but would have been if I hadn't been a comic book kid once-upon-a-time. At least it was dark and air conditioned. It was a good day!

That week following (wow, this is like, a month I'm catching you guys up on- sorry!), my class had a surprise guest speaker, and it was His Excellency Sir John Ralston Saul! (Famous Canadian, five-time author of international acclaim, political commenter and modern-day philosopher, and husband to Canada's Governor General.) He came to talk with us, which was pretty cool- he had a guard and everything- and then (after getting into a fight with one of my classmates in the washroom), called Cynthia (head of my program) to tell her that he was very impressed with us (and there might be a job with him for one of us)! I'm stoked. I just have to do some reading, and brush up on my French…

La visite de Moniseur Saul etait une evenement que je n'oublierais pas beintot. Il faut que je donne mes mercies a Cynthia pour cette cadeau!

Wow, yeah, my French sucks.

And then one of my classmates got hit by a bus. Okay, so I'm being dramatic. Morgen had bike accident that landed her in the hospital, but she's okay now (she actually typing beside me). I went to see her in the hospital. I'm glad she's better.

Work is the same as always. I got a bad evaluation that said I wasn't selling enough, and then, two days later, I made the top five sellers list in the GTA. It was satisfying at the time, but I'm getting sick of both the mall and the corporate stuff that goes with this job. Good thing I interviewed at a bookstore last week. It might be awhile before I start, but I can wait if I have that to look forward to!

Friday rocked. Mark and Kev came up for a visit (we've barely seen them all summer!), and we went to a K-Os concert (think folk rap, with morals. Good guy.), which was a great show! Immediately after which my friends dropped me at a bookstore, where I was in time to get in line for the midnight release of HARRY POTTER! I am overjoyed at the arrival of this book. I have read it twice, but have yet to finish formulating my opinion. As I told Laur last night, I'm still in 'process' mode. It was very…there was just so MUCH!
Mom wrestled it away from me his morning, but I'm getting it back (and reading it again) once she's done. Thankfully, soon I'll have more people to discuss it with.

And the blog just keeps going!

Last night I got a book in the mail from my aunt. Thank you aunt! (Yeah, I'm gonna write a better thanks soon, and a whole lot more privately than this). Its such a pretty book! I need some more time to look it over before I bring it to class and let these guys paw all over it (ha ha) though…working so much this week!

Also went to a friends' gig this week. Chris, a classmate of mine, is in a band called the Salingers, and I really like their music. I'm gonna have to go to more of their shows. Maybe I'll be a groupie…

Anyways, we've come to the (disjointed) end. I apologize profusely for my recent not-here-ness. I'll do better. At least we have something to look forward to- I'm (hoping to) go to Cedar Point next weekend. Hooray for roller coasters…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bethany!
I miss you... any chance of you coming down to Hamilton this summer? What are the plans for September? *hugs and misses*