Friday, April 27, 2007

Things are coming together

Today was a long, standing-water kind of day.
A lot of days this week have been like that (at work, at least). But, things are good, too. Like my apartment. Last weekend Ikea finally got my bookcase in, and Robin (to whom I owe a HUGE debt for this) helped me go get it. It took a little maneuvering, but eventually, he and I got it in the car. We picked up my brother, and after dropping the box at my place, we went to the Robins', along with my favourite boardgame, Cranium, which I had promised them all would be the best game they'd ever played.
Thankfully, they had no reason to call me a liar. In fact, I think I've created a monster...or three.
The plan had been to have dinner, play the game, head home. Simple. Neat.
Reality saw us laughing till we cried, yelling challenges, making one hell of a bloody mess, and finally crashing after dinner and four very long games of Cranium, around 4am. Then a game at breakfast. Then a game before dinner, after visiting Aunt Rose (she's doing well, btw; we took her out in the sun, it was a gorgeous day). Another game after dinner. I got home just in time for bed, more than 24 hours after first heading out. See what I mean about monsters?
Anyways, bookclub on Monday, which was great, but would have been greater if I'd remembered my umbrella (wet slacks suck). Tuesday I FINALLY found time to take my bookcase out of the box and knock it together. And it's PERFECT. I love it, totally. My place is clean, it has some vague notion of style...I'm finally starting to feel like this is 'the place I live', not just 'a place I'm staying', if you know what I mean. I feel like a grown up.
It feels good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome, Beth, glad everything is coming together! You better be representing the language category in Cranium while I'm away. I need someone to carry on the legacy of being able to solve word scrambles in under 3 seconds...probably the nerdiest claim to fame possible.
Love,
Laur