Sunday, June 24, 2007

Motorcycles and leeks

I had the best weekend!
The weather was a little cooler, which was a nice break from the constant, unleavened heat of the past few weeks. I met Hugh for lunch after work on Friday (summer hours at the office means I get off work at 1230 on Fridays), and we decided to eschew our movie-going plans in favour of a concert that was happening north of the GTA. We took Hugh's motorcycle! I love the ride up (it stopped being scary after just a couple of minutes). Yeah, I'm awesome. The concert was great- good music, kind of small townish (it reminded me of Bayfest back in the Sarn), good food, and, for some reason, apparently every cop in the greater York region. We think they were trying to justify their budget or something. They even did a fly-by with a helicopter. There were like, 200 people there; I've seen bigger weddings, seriously.
Everything about the night was great, except it got kinda chilly once the sun went down, and since Hugh and I had to take the bike all the way back, we left early, before it could get even colder. And, as fun as the bike was on the way there, it was not as fun on the way back. See, you can't wear glasses with a motorcycle helmet, and while I can see okay in daylight without my glasses on (things are fuzzy, but I can still tell what I'm looking at), this is not the case at night. At night, without my glasses, I am much closer to blind. This makes for an uncomfortable ride on a bike. Regardless to say, as fun as the day was, I was happy to get home.
Saturday I met up with an old friend (like, from elementary school), who is living in the city for the summer. We had a great time; we met up at St. Lawrence Market, where I learned that I cannot go to a market and not buy something. So I ended up with something random (leeks) hat I'd never cooked before and had no idea what to do with. Then we went out for lunch, talked for several hours, and agreed that we'd have to see each other again, soon.
Sunday I did domestic things, including making Mushroom and Leek risotto (had to do something with those leeks) that turned out awesome.
I'm terribly pleased with how my weekend turned out- now, if only the week will follow this trend.

No comments: