Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Weekend at the Cottage

So, late last night, we got back from the cottage. I love that place. It's very relaxing - I love not having any clue (or care) about what time it is...or what day it is. The weather was better than it called for (meaning that it didn't rain every minute)- we actually had some nice, sunny days. There was swimming and tons of reading, we played several games of Trivial Pursuit, great (and very plentiful) food...

I brought a chunk of soapstone with me (yes, the one I maimed myself with- see previous post), and the plan was to work on it a bit each day and have it done by the end of the weekend. Well, I kind of got into it, so I carved the whole thing in one, several-hours-long stint. It was great, especially as I had Steven (hereby known as my carving guru) sitting with me, showing me techniques and telling me what tools I'd need and such. Check out what I made!

I hope you all had a great long weekend like me!

2 comments:

Sonnet and Mayhem said...

Your carving is beautiful! I love the colour of the stone and the wave form is perfect. Sorry to hear about your maimed finger. I guess there's no price too high for great art!

Helen said...

Oooh! It's very Long Night Dance... or Old Man and the Sea, but without any misogynism.

I LOVE it.