Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Call this a recap

So busy. *Sigh*
Okay, a quick recap (and I do mean quick) of the past weeks:

I saw a deer. In Toronto. And I wasn’t hallucinating, either- Eggroll saw it too.

I spent a great couple of days crashing at Laur’s and Hugh’s place. Fun, not long enough, and I (regretfully) had to flake on the last day, so many apologies to them, though honestly I had started to feel like I was neglecting the Mom by then, so it was with mixed feelings that I dragged my ass home. Especially since she was making me do work(!)

Class rocks. Finance is the bane of my existence, but I live for fieldtrips. We’ve been to House of Anansi, (small, independent, very metro-funky-chic), Random House (the hugest, very cool, money and power, baby!), and today, Goodman and Goodman law offices (literary and entertainment agents- very who’s-who, totally connected, impressive). The information is fascinating and plentiful, as are the perks! We keep getting food, stuff, BOOKS even, plus the use of these very corporate-cool boardrooms all day- I feel so professional in them. Random House and G&G were actually pretty similar, in looks, anyways, but some of my classmates said that that was where they felt the ‘belonged’, and I didn’t agree. Random House was just as corporate and professional and posh, but there was a different air about the place. No matter how corporate it was, they were still a bunch of book geeks like me. The lawyers weren’t. Passionate, given, which was great to encounter (the head guy we were talking with told us all about ‘nurturing’ his author clients), but it wasn’t just books for him (he handles others, like Kim Cattrall, which spins him once again into the realm of super coolness, but I digress).

Work is fine. I was down about it for a week or two there, but I think things are improving. They just hired a new girl who seems really nice, and having someone to depend on (or, more accurately, take advantage of), and give me a little slack will be awfully nice. I’m looking forward to having at least one day that I can CHOOSE what to do with, even if that does turn out to be things like homework and cleaning the house. At this point, so little that is needing to is actually getting done, that I’m actually relishing the idea of even getting to do that much.

I went to the doc this week- first time I’ve met her, and she’s nice, and now I’m getting an Epi pen (as in epinephrine, so’s as I don’t do that dying thing if I get stung by das bees). I’m glad to finally be getting one, not that I’m going to let down my guard or anything (hey, a 16/17 year record is not one I’m looking to break!), but seeing as there’s an apple orchard in the middle of my school campus, I thought it would be adviseable to have the escape route just in case. Clever me.

The family reunion is coming up. Totally looking forward to it, dying to see everyone and to talk to people…we do this a lot less often than we ought to. Mom has given me a deadline for getting my room together in anticipation of being invaded by Atos’s, and then there’s the not-so-subtle hint she gave me the other day; “We can start baking any day now, you know.” Maybe I’ll make some extras and take them to class- make me some friends.

Arrgh, what else?
I bought the new Coldplay CD today (X&Y). It’s friggin FANTASTIC. Seriously, people, go buy.

As for books, there’s nothing new up my sleeve; I’m back on my favourite drug- Harry Potter. In anticipation for the next big release (37 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes, 11 seconds as I write this), I have begun again. Going slowly- I’d like to say because I’m relishing them, but the truth is, I’m just struggling to squeeze in any decent reading time. I still plan to be done the fifth by the night before the new release, though. Determination!
I’m also happy to announce that my publishing class is just a wrapped up in this as I am! (Well, maybe not *quite* as much as I am, but it’s hard to reach my heights). (Yeah, even I ROFL at that one.)

In any case, there’s a dirty kitchen, a pile of homework, and a brand-spankin-new CD waiting for me- I’m out, folks. Talk to you all, sooner or later, though I have design class…tomorrow?.. maybe friday…one of those…blog then.

No comments: