Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Frozen moon

So, today at work friend Helen mentions that tonight there will be a lunar eclipse. Very cool, and I make a mental note to Google it when I get home and check it out when it happens. Leave work, and stop on the way home to buy really good ice cream (fried ice cream flavour; highly recommended- and contrary to the Mom's claim, NOT a carb!). And thus, mind clouded by ice creamy goodness, all mental notes, moon related or otherwise, are thoroughly forgotten.
Until the Mom text messages me, and alerts me to the celestial awesomeness that I am missing. Happy to have been reminded (and not wanting to miss this very cool event), I run to pull on boots, and then wander around my balcony, looking for the moon (cause I'm not one of those who keeps track of where it's supposed to be). I finally find it- if I stand right at the corner of the balcony, face the building, and crank my head back I can see the moon over the edge of the roof. And it's almost totally this ruddy brown colour, with this sliver of white at the edge, and I'm thinking, 'cool, I came at the best part'.
So I stand, in boots and jeans and a turtleneck, with my arms wrapped around myself, waiting for this eclipse to progress. And it's taking a while, so I reach in and grab a blanket off my bed to wrap around me, but standing outside on my balcony at 11 at night in February is redonculously cold even with a blanket, and I'm thinking 'come on, how long does this thing freaking take?'.
I call the Mom to let her know that I'm not missing the event, and my teeth are chattering as I talk to her, and when she realizes I'm standing out there freezing and staring at the moon, she chagrins me with the information that the stupid eclipse will take several hours, actually started at 5pm, and won't be done until several hours from now.
I'm an idiot. A frozen idiot. And one with no intention of staying up to see an eclipse that is taking its sweet time. I'm putting my frozen butt to bed- the moon can do whatever it wants.

No comments: