Saturday, April 26, 2008

Broken promises and second-rate ingredients

Dear TTC,

Thank you for ruining my day.

That was how I was intending to start this blog, several hours ago, when I had just found out that the TTC union (which had averted a strike last week by finding a deal they said was acceptible, and which had also promised Torontonians 48 hours if they were to strike), had started a stike at midnight, giving about a half hours' notice. This meant that there was no chance that I would be able to get to St Lawrence Market, would not be able to meet my friend, would not be able to purchase the ingredients for the dinner I'm making (for another friend) tonight...and had no need to wake up early, which I hate doing on a Saturday, but the market is worth it. The unreachable market.
Anyways, I walked to the usual old (boring) grocery store and got 'instead' ingredients for dinner (as in, 'instead of the good stuff'), and trudged disappointedly home, along the quiet, bus-free street.
But then I did some work on my balcony, and have watched one good movie (and another is in progress behind me as I type this), and I guess missing the market isn't the worst thing in the world...it's just what I wanted to be doing today. So yes, I'm pissed at the irresponsible TTC, which certainly has a right to strike, but which also should stand by its promises...but it's another gorgeous day outside, and my pea sprouts have a soily new home, and I have a friend coming over, for replacement-ingredient dinner, so that all sorts. And now I have to go start dinner. Have a good day people- for all those stuck at home like me.

No comments: