Monday, January 24, 2005

Can't type- too few fingers

Arrgh! How many times am I going to do this? I know that I said I wanted the printmaking set, I know that I am having fun doing this, and I really like the current project I’m working on, but how many fingers am I going to sacrifice to this hobby? For those of who who don’t know, printmaking involves cutting a design into a piece of hard rubber (in this case, linoleum) and then inking the plate and printing it onto a paper to make the design. The problem? The linoleum I have is hard-good for the image, bad for my digits. You see, cutting the design involves a lot of gouging with this wicked little tool called a lino cutter- which frequently pushes off the lino, out of control, and (mostly) ends up embedded in a finer or two of mine.
Now, I KNOW that this happens. I KNOW that this is a risk, and its actually one I am perfectly willing to take. But I still have the bandaid on my middle finger from last weeks' mishap, and today I have to put on another one on my thumb- fine, so I look like someone who tried to stop a fan while it was plugged in, I can accept that. But it’s when I stab my thumb AGAIN, THROUGH the bandaid, that I really start to question my choice of pastime.
But then again- Van Gogh gave up an ear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Van Gogh gave up that ear on purpose ...