Friday, January 07, 2005

Godzillablog continued...

Yeah, I talk, like, A LOT, so this is a continuation of my last mile-long blog. It’s Godzillablog.
New Year’s Eve was a humble affair this year. My friends and I got together at Laur and Hugh’s place in Toronto, and we stayed in and had pizza and played games- especially this fantastic version Laur made of the…you know that Friends episode where Ross makes the trivia game about the Friends, and the girls lose and they have to switch apartments? Lauren made that, about us. It was very cool, and Lauren, I would like a copy. No! (Brainstorm), you should put it online so we can all add to the questions. The game will get huge!
We watched the ball drop on television and went out on the balcony and yelled a lot. It was pretty classic- or clichéd, however you like to see it.
Saturday was tame, we went out to this diner that should have been cool, but, it being New Year’s Day, at breakfast, the place (and the staff) were a little frenzied. Then we drove home.
Sunday I worked at the toy store, which should have been a calm day, except that some vandals had smashed in one of the giant display windows that night, and we spent all morning dealing with getting the glass taken out and boarded up. Falling glass can be REALLY loud.
And then I had classes again. My professors this semester are, well, characters is probably the best way to describe them. For anthropology (myths class), the prof really knows his stuff, but that means he talks really fast, and often in Old Norse, which apparently we’re supposed to be able to follow. Add that to the fact that we have a section of 300 students in a classroom built to hold 250, and it makes for a trying course. But I really like the subject matter. Then I have a class on Science Fiction, which I’m really looking forward to, but on Wednesday (the second class), our prof just never showed up, which, frankly, is not very confidence inspiring. Finally, there’s Music for Film and Television (stop rolling your eyes, I can study whatever I want!). The prof is a very rotund man, with a thick beard…frankly, a Santa candidate except for the plentiful and often inappropriate jokes. He’s kind of a riot. I had his class today, and it would have been fine, except that the weather sucked ass, and three busses blew by before I finally got on one, and then (five minutes late), I get to the class and the location has been changed, so a group of us who all ran in at the same time are just standing there, staring at this sign that’s redirecting us to MDCL 1350, until one of us finally speaks up and voices what we’re all thinking:
“What the hell is MDCL 1350?”
Fifteen minutes late, wet, very cold, and frustrated, we finally zeroed in on where the new class was (new building on campus, still under construction), and it’s this humongous auditorium- it turns out all the sections have been combined, for ease (just what about 550 people in one room with a fat guy yelling at us, though we still can’t hear him because he’s a technological infant and can’t work a portable mic, is easy?).
Anyways, the week (and this blog) is finally over. I have a weekend to get to. Wish me luck!

No comments: