Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Effectively kuglish

So, thanksgiving was this past weekend, and the brother and I made our own turkey dinner with all the usual trimmings on our own for the first time (with Mom's help in printed-out-email form). It went rather well, I think- the turkey was moist and not pink in the middle, the stuffing tasted the way I like, and the kugle was effectively kuglish. Extra kudos to the bro for choosing brussel sprouts (good call), volunteering his kitchen, and running out for last minute supplies.
Other than the fact that it was 33 degrees on Monday (and after watching An Inconvenient Truth with him, that was doubly as uncomfortable than it would normally be), it was a great weekend.
The week, though, has finally learned its manners and turned into a decent autumn- I even got to wear my orange sweater today. It went very well with my nails, which I had to cut off because of the pottery class I'm taking, and to make myself feel better about losing all my lovely long nails, I bought new nail polish and painted them dark chocolate brown, and that made me very happy.
And I voted today, the way I wanted to, which wasn't actually the smart way (as Lauren says, some people say there are only two parties in Canada, and it's better to vote for the one you dislike least), but I can't do that. As I told her, I'd rather cast my vote into the obscurity I approve of than give the little power I have to someone I don't truly believe in. And that's all I have to say about that.
After voting, I stopped at the grocery store to grab ingredients to make my own Asian Chicken Soup (recipe to follow), and Colin Mochrie was in my grocery store (click the title of this entry if you don't know who he is). He smiled at me, and that was kind of cool, but then I had to walk home in the rain, and my hair got all puffy, and then I made soup.

Bethany's Loaded Asian Chicken Soup

2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
tons of chicken broth (I used about 11 cups, plus one of water)
ginger
garlic
sesame oil
soy sauce
green onions
red pepper
bok choy (I used baby)
sugar snap peas (or snow peas)
bamboo shoots
water chestnuts
carrots
mushrooms

Cook the chicken in the sesame oil and soy sauce until it's not pink in the middle (duh), while you gently boil the broth and water with the ginger and garlic (don't cut up the cloves or ginger chunks, so you can take them out later). Cool the chicken while you cut up all the veg. Put the veg in the soup and simmer it while you cut the chicken. Add the chicken and taste the broth, adjusting it as necessary (ie., add salt, soy sauce, lemon or lime juice, red pepper flakes for some kick...whatever you think it could use). Enjoy!

P.S. I found a blog you should go to. It's http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

No comments: