Saturday, February 03, 2007

Florida can't some soon enough

I was very pleased when I found this apartment; I like the location, the layout, it's clean... I know that older buildings have their problems, but I like the thick concrete walls they have, too. And the rent was decent, and utilities were included, so I don't have to pay for water, or electricity, or heat. Sure, I don't have to pay for heat- yeah, right.
The whole back wall of my apartment is one big patio door and window. A very old window, with a metal frame...that lets so much wind in there might as well not be any glass in it. I was very proud when I realized this might cause a problem, so I went out and got one of those plastic film insulator kit thingies, and put it up all by myself.
But, see the thing is, with the wind blowing in through the cracks, the plastic would bow out, bloated-belly style. Last night it was so bad it almost knocked over my lamp before finally tearing off the tape that held it down. Combine that with the fact that the temp here has dropped in the last week (and is just going to keep on falling), and my place was more than a little frigid. I was online with Laur and Hugh, and it was hard to type. My bed is right under the window, so I made up the pullout and slept there, under every blanket I own, wearing my new yoga pants (thick sweatpants) and a huge fleece pullover I stole from Lauren a million years ago. And socks, and slippers.
First thing this morning (well, noon at least, when I could finally convince myself to crawl out from under the warm covers), I bundled up and walked to the hardware store, and bought $20 worth of duct tape, something called 'weather shield crack seal' (think grey silly putty for windows), and another plastic film kit. I brought it home, tore the remaining old plastic off my window, and pressed that grey plasticine into every side of the window. I even used kleenex in the big spaces. Then I got out the new plastic film kit, and put that up as well as I could.
And when I pressed down the last corner...the whole thing bowed out like a bloated belly, and tore off the tape that held it down. I was so frustrated I could have cried. My hands were freezing, I hate it when my nose is cold (and it is), and I'd just wasted more of my money. In a fit I tore into the duct tape I'd bought (as a last resort, cause duct tape is, first of all, ugly, and second, a man's way of solving a problem). I attacked the window, covered every edge completely, along with most of the sill. I *think* I might have finally got it all. Tomorrow I'll go get another plastic film insulator kit. In the meantime, excuse me- I have to go cover my patio door with duct tape. Brrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth, you should get your superintendent on that - it's his problem, not yours! And then he'll probably get a professional to come in and take care of it so you don't have to keep buying duct tape. Good luck!
- Laur