Sunday, February 18, 2007

My S.O.L vacation

Okay, so yesterday I meet the brother at the bus station, because we're taking a bus to get to the airport to catch a plane to Florida for a sweet sweet two-week vacation in the sun.
I say to him, "Happy vacation!", and he says to me "My vacation doesn't start until I get to my destination; everything up until then is just a hassle."
My brother is a wise, wise man.
So, we get to the airport and meet my Aunt, with whom we're checking in, in hopes of getting seats together on the plane.
Well, she got a seat, at least.
Did you know that Air Canada purposely overbooks their flights? See, there's this 10% chance that people won't show up, so they overbook in order to ensure that the planes are always filled. But if everyone shows up for their flight, then someone is S.O.L.
Guess who?
So, then the customer service people (my aunt has flown away by this time), plan to send us to Fort Lauderdale that night. The plane would get in at midnight, so the bro makes them confirm that we'll have a hotel room for the night.
Smart move- Fort Lauderdale is having a boat show and there are no hotel rooms to be had.
So, we end up at the Airport Hilton in Mississauga on Air Canada's dollar, and we're flying out today, a day late.
We're tired, we're annoyed, the brother is sick (and I'm doing my best not to catch it), and unlike us, our luggage made it to Florida- so we've got nothing with us. No toiletries, no changes of clothes...
I know my last two posts were titled 'Florida can't come soon enough'. Well, at this point, it's overdue.

No comments: