Thursday, June 12, 2008

Psychologically advantageous haircuts, etcetera

Wanna know how excited I am about Europe? This excited: I have Tuesday marked on my calendar, because it’s the day that I am going to the drug store to buy stuff like travel-sized toothpaste for my trip. I also have the following Wednesday marked, because I’m not allowed to start packing before that. 16 sleeps! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Not that shopping for pint-sized toiletries is all that I have to look forward to between now and the moment the plane takes off. Recent days have been packed with dog-centric city festivals (it’s called ‘Woofstock’ and it’s a little insane, but the brother, the Robins and I, along with Eggroll the leashbound enjoyed it), book club nominations (much sharing of fries and opinions occurred), and seeing of friends and movies and shopping. Upcoming, I have the symphony Saturday (selections of Romeo & Juliet, Gershwin something, and something else), dog sitting, several dinners out with friends, and also the new Coldplay CD comes out next week.

One of my responsibilities while housing the Egg is going to be grooming him. The brother leaves for a visit with the Mom in two weeks, and for the first time ever, Eggroll will be taking to the air to come along. That is, if the airline officials say that he’s slim enough (seriously, they’re as bad as modeling agencies and gymnastics trainers!) So the brother has me clipping the Egg down to a buzz cut in order to make him appear cleaner, sleeker, and cuter- in J’s words, “to give him a psychological advantage”. Hopefully, this tactic will work, and Egg will get to be a mile-high dog. I wonder if he’s afraid of flying?

I am not afraid of flying. The flight to England is, like, 12 hours, and I plan to sleep through most of it (after the square little unidentifiable meal they’ll give me, that is). Some people are not afraid of flying because they have heard statistics like ‘you’re more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport’. Or statistics with actual numbers.
I believe, however, that it is impossible for the plane to fall, simply because it is impossible for the thing to fly in the first place. I know some people claim there’s physics or some such nonsense holding the thing up, but nerts to that. Really, it’s just this giant metal thing doing the impossible, and there’s no reason for it to stop doing it once it’s started.

Hey- bees aren’t supposed to fly, either.

No comments: