Monday, November 01, 2004

Appreciate the Inconsequential

I like noticing the little things. Things about people, things about the world around me. Lauren says that this habit of mine is what will make me a good writer. I don't know about that, but I know that it's the little things that interest me, and that I always enjoy witnessing a new one. For instance: last week when I was in Toronto, I was riding the subway in an almost-empty car. A man came in and immediately sat down, unfolded a newspaper and took off his shoes. He spent the ride sitting with his feet propped up on the next seat, reading his news, while his shoes slid, back and forth, with every start and stop of the subway. He didn't seem to notice, or care. I watched this for several stops, until we arrived at his destination, at which point his shoes slid back into place right below him, and without looking for them, he slid his feet back into his shoes (straight in, no fumbling) and walked away. It made me smile.
Another for instance: the prof of my Modern Culture Studies class. She's this young, thin, enthusiastic scholar-type, with straight hair fit for a shampoo commercial and freckles. She's the kind of person you look at and think she's got to be graceful and poised, because she's built like a dancer. But she's not, and I love the dissonance of it. She has this habit of putting her hands flat on her head and rubbing her hair in circles when she's thinking. It's hilarious. She's left with a good approximation of bed-head that she never seems aware of. There's irony in her hands, too. She has the long, thin fingers that I've always wanted, but the way she gestures- stiff, crooked-fingered, strained- it makes hands that should be elegant look like they belong on a Hans Christian Anderson villain. Yeah, I like the irony of that lady. Which is a good thing, because her class is boring and she's MUCH too excited about a subject that down-right sucks, in my opinion.
Other things I've noticed: That the new lady working the cash in the campus cafeteria has a habit of licking the tip of her ring finger before ringing in each purchase, which she does with her index finger.
There's a little girl who comes into the toy store sometimes with her dad, she's either 2 or 3, and though he encourages her, every time, to get some other little plastic animal, she always- always- gets a canary.
That's all I can think of, but if I see any more that are memorable, I'll write them down for you.
As for now, I'd like to officially welcome the newest addition to my house- the newly named kitten 'Buzz'. Now, I'm going to read, and eat Halloween candy. Have a good night!

No comments: