Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Collecting the Pointless

Do you collect things in your wallet? I find this practice fairly odd, since you would think that what people collect in their wallets would be really important- it's stuff that you keep with you at all times, in a place where there isn't much (or any) room to spare, so what you put in there should, predictably, have a fair bit of significance. But it doesn't. Kevin collects movie stubs in his wallet. It's a quirk that I love, especially since it's this inconsequential practice that he's so...dedicated to. He has tens of them, if not hundreds.
Lauren collects concert tickets. And (though it's not just in her wallet), my mother has a tendency to gather little piles of rocks...everywhere. They're in her glove compartment and in her purse, and the last time I was visiting there were several in the kitchen...
I have all the usual stuff in my wallet, but I also keep all the fortunes I've gotten from fortune cookies with every Chinese food meal I've had for the past ten years or so. I got "You are very ambitious you will attempt and achieve great things" so long ago I can't remember it's origins. It might even be the first. "You have a fortunate sign" is one of my favourites. There's one that's printed in blue ink that says "You are going to have some new clothes"- I got that one when my father took me out for dinner on my birthday. I like that one because it was like the guy who sits around thinking up these things just got fed up with his own bullshit. I imagine him sitting, staring at a bitty little tab of paper in a typewriter, struggling with writer's block, and finally throwing his hands up and saying the hell with it!, and then writing my fortune. It was true, too.
One of my best is this: "Confucius say: When person say love better make sure word touch wisdom tooth". It's perfect because it's basically unintelligible. Whenever anyone reads it, they got this hilarious look on their face, like a mix of confusion and absurdity, that comes out looking like they have an unexpected pea up their nose.
I got Chinese take-out last night. It was greasy and gross, just like it's supposed to be. I have two fortunes from that order. "You will inherit some money or a small piece of land", and "Good news will be brought to you by mail". It's worrisome that my fortune is telling me that someone will die, leave me something, and I'll find out about it in a letter, and be happy about it. Does this make me heartless, or is it just the fortune that's so morally ambiguous?
The only other odd thing in my wallet is a feather. It's nothing special- not a pretty colour or shape, and it's certainly not exotic. It's just that two years ago I was outside early one morning going to class, and there was this bird just standing in the driveway. It was winter, and snowy, and very cold, and there was this out-of-place bird, that wasn't flying away despite the fact that I was crunching toward it. Finally, a couple feet from the little thing, I stopped. I looked at the bird, and the bird looked at me. Then I said "Good morning," and the bird flew away. But right in front of me, as it took off, one feather fluttered back down from it onto the snow. That's the feather I have in my wallet.
Do you keep anything strange in your wallet? Or anywhere else? I have stray bits of paper- ticket stubs from concerts and bus rides, receipts, grocery lists- between the pages of most of my books, and even when I'm re-reading one and find these old bookmarks, I don't take them out. I think everyone should have one pointless thing they like to have, or keep, or collect. It's the quirks that tell us we're human. Or magpies, depending on who you're talking to.
My family has a thing for shiny objects. I swear, if you had my mother and her sisters walking down the street and wanted to stop them in their tracks, all you'd have to do was drop a piece of tinfoil. They've passed this onto me, of course. Handy, if you're in need of spare change.
I found an Irish coin once.
Oh! And one time, a friend (Hugh? Kevin? I can't remember) found an East-Asian bill, folded up and shoved behind a fire extinguisher, in a public hallway in a building on campus. Go figure.
I'm rambling. But at least it's a fun ramble. Keep collecting your needless paraphernalia, magpies, and have a good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my god! i love shiny things too!!!! (but i'm more partial to lights...)
just thought i'd share that w/ you...
:D