Friday, November 12, 2004

The week came down like snow

Wow, I think my head is going to explode. But, I haven't blogged in ages, and a very busy week has been to blame. On the upside, this give me TONS of stuff to fill you all in on.
First, the bastard property manager who assaulted my housemate got fired on Monday evening, and an hour later all our locks had been changed. My housemates and I were thrilled with the response and support we received from everyone we went to about this situation, and with the speed and decisive manner with which it was resolved. Thank you to all of them (though they'll never read this, at least it's out there). I feel hugely victorious. I am pitching the idea of writing about this situation (in a very cursory manner) for the school paper, to inform other students living off campus that this is a threat to be aware of, and how to react if it happens.
Meanwhile my first article for the paper- just a book review, but at least it's something- came out today. I'm so proud! I picked up a copy and read it with this big, stupid smile plastered all over my face, then snuck another four copies into my bag before leaving the student center. I'm gonna send one to Mom. (I admit it, I am the cheese.)
Stayed up late Wednesday to write an essay for my stupid post-colonial lit class for Thursday. (I am the princess of procrastination. I have a strong hunch that Lauren is the queen.) I hate the class and anything associated with the class, especially the buffoon who decided I had to take it, whoever he or she was. We happened to be going over the poem I wrote about in class the next day. My prof had never heard any of the interpretations about it that I'd found online (on good sites- I know how to research!), and her explanation of it made little sense if you read the poem closely. Several of her points were dead wrong- in direct opposition to the poem itself. None of this ameliorates my view of that class. Ick!
Went to work that night and it was one of those days where there's so much work to do (receiving, unpacking, pricing and putting-out merchandise) that customers become unwanted distractions who earn your ire just for their wasting of your time. Don't get me wrong- normally, helping the customers is, like, one of the best parts of my job. But when the Christmas stock is arriving SUPER late, and there are a million things to do, I just don't have the patience. My co-worker and I were there an hour late. At least it means more money in the bank. When I got home, though, I decided to get on the computer and ended up finishing a poster project that isn't due till Monday. I ROCK!
Today was scarily the same. Went to classes, went to the bead store, and the lady who was supposed to teach tonight's class forgot about it- I called her and she arrived an hour late. All the students were pissed, and I promised to stay late so they could finish the class. I got home two hours late. Again, more money in the bank, but I can't keep doing this!
This weekend doesn't promise much of a respite, boo-hoo for me. It's the 'birthday weekend' at the toy store (it's been open six years! Yay! *SARCASM, ANYONE?*) It's going to be busy, crowded and stressful. But, hey, at least there's free cake!
All in all, this leaves me slobbering for next weekend, when I promised Laur I'd take a day off and hang with her. Hell, I might take the whole weekend and see Mom on Sunday, who knows? It'll mean pulling some strings, but I'm ready to YANK! (People owe me favours anyway).
OH! There was one thing that made this week fantastic, and I almost forgot it. On Monday...it snowed. This is the greatest thing. Snow is special, and on Monday it came down just for me. It's mine people, and don't you forget it. I'm wearing my winter coat and I can't wait for the NEXT snowfall. I love this season.
Happy snowfalls, everyone. Have a good night.

No comments: