Sunday, November 07, 2004

A full moon would explain everything

Weird day. It feels so late although it's not, and I'm typing with one hand since there's a cat asleep on my arm (I'm in heaven), though this day off of mine was far from being the relaxing day it ought to have been. It should have been a full moon; that would've made sense. Lauren decided inexplicably that her cellphone could fly, the weather is suddenly in remission, and Buzz (the cat) is acting very strange, even for a kitten.
More ominously, some friends of mine had a domestic dispute happen outside their door, and someone got hit with a fire extinguisher so they called the cops. I'm worried about them.
And my housemate was assaulted by the property manager who runs our house, so they're worried about me. I'm safe, don't worry- no one comes into my room, and I have a hammer and several knives and no one would dare- I'm one tough cookie, and not nearly as sweet.
And my first assignment for the newspaper is due Tuesday, I finished the book yesterday (I'm doing a review), and I should be so good at this; books and writing, I was practically made for this- but everything I write today is crap.
Plus, I took home a repair from the bead store (people commission us to repair broken jewelry) and it should have been easy but I spilled the beads everywhere and missed a couple when I remade the piece, so now I have to redo it completely.
On the upside, I finished a whole lot of beading projects last night, there was a visiting artist at the beadstore Friday (Sam, who makes her own glass beads), and I bought a bunch, commissioned one, and she talked to me about getting into making beads myself (not going to happen for a good long time: first things first).
Talked to Mom about Hanukkah (it's coming up- ridiculously early this year) she has no ideas for herself (as usual), but its okay cause for once I have no shortage of ideas for her. Don't get me wrong, I love buying gifts, especially for my Mom, it's just that living away from home doesn't give much opportunity to see her fawning over those superfluous requited items. The main problem this year is an overabundance of ideas and willingness to give, but lack of funds (big surprise). I think I'll be able to scrape together something respectable, though. I felt guilty bringing it up myself (she usually asks me for ideas), but I went ahead and told her the two specific things I have my eye on right now. There's this old photo of my Mom walking by a road or a lake or something (I have a vague memory of it), that I want a copy of. I told her this and she goes "The one where I'm wearing the jacket with the missing button?" And she obsesses over that button. This is a picture that was taken at least 30 years ago or so, that button is LONG GONE, and my mother has every intention of having the pic digitally re-engineered to include a third button.
I also asked for the elusive print-making set. I won't be using it for the poster project (did I already write that?), but I still want to do some more art.
Well, it's getting later and I do want to take another stab at this book review. Maybe this day won't be a total loss. I'm going to pitch my ideas for other articles when I hand this in, and Lauren suggested that I write about this thing with my landlord. I like the idea. He screws up my life, my friend's life, and I can make him pay. It's neat to have power.
The cat is awake and attacking my typing fingers...I'd better go. Ow!
Have a good night all. My best advice: stay in bed till tomorrow.

No comments: