Friday, October 15, 2004

Comfort food: Mom's Sausage & Peppers

Okay, so I tried to put a picture in here, and what can I say, I suck technologically. Today kind of sucked. Rain and cold and classes and work and crazy customers. Three men came into the bead store and they only spoke spanish and french. I don't remember the last time I used that much of my 'other' language. I wasn't great, but could have been a lot worse. Then a shelf collapsed. Any idea what it's like when a shelf collapses in a bead store? Just like you imagine.
I ought to mention, it is not my intention to expound on the trivialities of my day here. I do so with a purpose. See, on a day like this, and I know you people out there have had such days, (and if you haven't, kiss my ass), there's only one thing you want and need: comfort food. And with that, let me introduce the first of several (if not many) recipies.

Mom’s Sausage & Peppers

One (at least) pkg Italian Sausage (I use sweet, not hot)
Onions (lots!)
1-3 Peppers (mostly green, can use red or yellow)
Large can tomatoes (I use diced) or two depending on size of batch
Dried oregano (at least a teaspoon)
Garlic powder (or fresh, or bottled) to taste (lots)
Salt & Pepper

Buy good sausage, it will make or break this dish.
Put 1/4 cup of water in a frying pan with a good lid.
Add sausages (frozen or not), cover and steam on high heat until the water is evaporated. Then add a bit of oil to the pan, turn the heat down to medium and brown the sausages well on all sides.
Remove them to a plate (save oil and gunk on bottom of pan if it's not too black).
Add onions and peppers to pan (can add a bit more oil if necessary, but go easy) and fry until a bit limp (scrape the gunk off the bottom of the pan while you do this).
When sausages are cool enough to handle, slice thinly.
Add sausages, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper.
Sometimes I also add a couple of squirts of Worcestershire sauce.
Cook until veggies are done to taste and flavours have blended.
Cooking it covered retains the juice if it is not saucy enough, or uncovered if you want to cook it down a bit.
Serve with rice or pasta.

xxox Mom

There. Maybe it's a tad cliched to use a 'Mom' recipe first, but that's where most are from, and this is the way she sent it to me. I hope to post more later, and they, too, will be conveyed the way I learned them. Have a good, dry, warm night all.
Bethany

No comments: