Wednesday, October 27, 2004

It means "While we live, let us LIVE!"

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I know I haven't updated in a while, and I fully intend to do better in the future. In my defense, I've been a busy little girl lately. I enjoyed a couple of days in Toronto (I got some gorgeous new beads, and saw my friends- it was fantastic to have everyone in the same place!).
It seems like everyone's life is really busy right now; Hugh, a Best of mine, is 'feeling the crunch' in his classes, and I must admit I'm loving hearing all about what he's achieving and enduring in Med school.
Kevin (another circle member), is the first of us to leap out into the 'real world', and he's doing a lot of traveling- it sounds very exciting, involving the Mafia and the pigs (tee hee hee, I said 'pigs'), and I wish him the best of luck.
Lauren is actually putting together a magazine (something I find unfailingly glamorous). I wish her luck, leads, and zzz's!
And me? Well, I haven't caught any mice, though I saw one last night, and said 'hi', but he wasn't very talkative. Work is, well, work, but I'm looking forward to Halloween (I love that holiday). I've also volunteered to write for the McMaster student paper, the Silhouette. I have a couple of books to review for them, and I'm desperately trying to come up with some ideas for a pop culture feature. Lauren has, as usual, been the most help to me in this burgeoning endeavour, a huge deal of thanks goes out to her for her knowledge, advice and encouragement.
And I've been toying with the idea of writing a children's story. Yes, I'm still writing, and lately, more than ever. This is the first time I've had the guts to mention it anywhere, despite being around my mother and all my friends this weekend, and having got off the phone with Lauren not even ten minutes ago. I wonder why I feel comfortable mentioning it here? I know that my friends will read this, so it's strange that I didn't mention it directly to them. I suppose it's the anonymity of the web. I can't decide whether that fact is revelatory, strange, or scary. Probably all three.
In any case, I have no intention of telling you people what I'm writing about. That's for me to know, and my imaginary publisher to find out. Yeah, that dream won't die.
Last but not least, school is rolling along as always. I have an upcoming poster project to do, and I'm taking the opportunity to get back into printmaking, which was an art form that interested me in high school, though I haven't done it in years. I've missed doing art, and until now was always focused on pottery (the medium I like best and happen to be best at), which is unfortunately unavailable to me, since it takes a LOT of money, space, and specific equipment to create. Lino-cut prints (cutting a design into a linoleum-like material, and pressing a page onto the inked plate to create the image) is the other medium that really caught my interest way-back-when, and the materials are a lot more accessible to me here and now. I intend to do my project in this form, and depending on how that turns out, I might just continue with it. I'm pretty excited about getting back into the art thing, even if it is just by, and for, myself. Oh! The poster design I have in mind is based on an Art Nouveau woodcut print book cover done by Arthur H. Mackmurdo in 1883, though I'll replace the title with something, possibly "Dum vivimus, vivamus", though that's still a rough idea. We'll see, and I promise to let you all know how it turns out.
So, for now, I guess that's me. Hope you out there are all doing well. If you're not, listen to some good music, I think that's the surest way to get better. Never be afraid to dance like an idiot, especially when you're alone.
And I can't think of a good sign-off line, like 'peace out', but less lame right now. I'm sure there are people out there (I could name a few myself), who could come up with something for me, but I guess that's why I made my address what it is. There might be something witty to say right now, but I am, as ever, never as clever.

No comments: