Thursday, October 21, 2004

Mom’s Yummy Jambalaya

Well it's been another- unsurprisingly- rainy day in Hamilton. I went to class and went to work, and other than frizzed-out hair and sore feet, I'm not all that worse for wear. I did make a point of finally getting to the hardware store and purchasing a brand-spankin-new, shiny mousetrap (it's called the "Tin Cat"- I love it! It makes me think of the cast of Cats doing their own rendition of the Wizard of Oz.) My mousetrap is a flat square, reuseable, totally humane contraption (unintended pun, sorry), that can catch multiple mice at a time (I like that!). I put Ritz crackers in it and set it in a corner of my room, but I didn't catch anything. Of course, I only had it down for a half-hour, and it's probably a good thing I didn't catch them- I don't know what I'd do with them this late at night. I'm so disgusted, though. Even though I bought the ONLY humane trap the store had, it still came with a piece of paper inside that suggested:
"Submerge trap in water for quick disposal of rodents!"
Eew! Hello, you are the one company that makes a humane trap, and you still have to proverbially sully your hands with that suggestion? Shame.
Plus, because a friend is sleeping over, I'm sleeping on the floor- with the mice. Oh well, it looks like another opportunity for selective memory loss.
I really should get something better for guests (or me) to sleep on when they visit. I can't afford a good blow-up, but I wonder if I could hang a hammock...
Yeah, I want a hammock!
Okay people, I'm gonna go out and get a hammock. You all get in out of the rain, dry yourselves off, and if you're chilled to the bone, here's another Mom recipe:

Mom’s Yummy Jambalaya

Mild Italian Sausage
Chicken (boneless)
Worchester Sauce
2 lg. onions
4 stalks celery
2 peppers
Garlic
Olive oil
2 Bay leaves
1 Tsp. cayenne
Salt + pepper
2½-3 cups rice.
Liquid- either: Chicken stock, or sm. tomatoes, or tbsp. brown sugar, oil + flour (roux) and water.

Steam sausage, let cool.
Cook the chicken in the sausage drippings plus a little Worchester.
Slice sausages.
Dice onion, celery and peppers, sauté in garlic, chicken juices and olive oil.
Combine all with liquids and rice, cook covered 15-30 minutes, depending on consistency.

Mom’s tip: remember that what you’re aiming for is as much flavour as you can pack in. Think about this when picking your liquids.
And this is one of those dishes that just gets better with time. Freezes perfectly!

Enjoy everyone, and have a good night. As for me, I'm sleeping with the mouses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beast! (Have you guessed who posted this comment,yet?!)
Your blog provided an enjoyable distraction during my first-of-three graveyard shifts. It's now 6:00AM and I am within sniffing distance of the end of this very long night. Thank you for a very entertaining read!
XXOX