Sunday, February 27, 2005

Bustin out all over

Okay, so I've been hesitatey-girl with this news, cause I am painfully aware of my history of musical career ideas. Doctor, writer, artist, bookstore owner, chef (I don't know what I was thinking that summer) and, following a much longer list than I have here transcribed, there was teaching (which stuck for a surprisingly long time). (Yes, that was past-tense).

Basically, I think the teaching idea was 'safe'. Mom certainly liked it, probably because (I think) she could imagine me actually making money that way (a luxury many of the past ideas didn't afford her). I should have realized that teaching wasn't really what I wanted to do when...oh, let's pick one: when I freaked out about leaving McMaster at all, when I failed to do any of the mandatory volunteer work, when I buried all the teacher's college brochures under dirty laundry, when I completely ignored deadlines for applications...I am one of the best people out there for avoiding things I don't want to do, I swear.
In any case (after that shameful admission that I can't quite believe I'm putting online for all to see, but then I guess that I didn't really make this blog to tell you all about my day-to-days, as boring as they are. I wanted to take risks here, I wanted to be honest and real. So, take a deep breath, and forge on, girl), I have found what is right for me. (Really!)

I want to be a publisher. Isn't that perfect?! Anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm all about the books. I'm that girl who hovers in the puffy chairs in the student centre always with her nose buried in the pages. I'm the one who won't buy a purse that's too small to hold a paperback (or the Order of the Pheonix, if you've ever seen the purses I carry). I'm the classmate wearing the eau-de-library cologne, the one with all the papercuts, the one whose walls are papered with post-its of book-release dates. I can navigate any Chapters in the southern Ontario region with my eyes closed.

So, I decided that being a publisher would be good, and I'm almost scared about how excited I am about this idea. My first plan was to go cold-calling all the publishing agencies I could find in the GTA after graduation, which was, let's face it, a flimsy approach at best. But, thankfully, I have a best friend who often takes better care of me than I do, and Lauren found this new program mentioned in a magazine. It's called the 'Creative Book Publishing Program' and it's running at Humber College (in Toronto) in May. So, (proving that this really is something I want to do), I immediately got off my ass and started the application process. So far, the head of the program (who sounds really nice- we've been in contact already) has been totally helpful and really positive, and I'm getting fairly psyched about this whole thing. I just hope I'm not jinxing anything by writing about it.

Anyways, I still have this essay to write for it, and an interview, but I'm almost looking forward to it. I really do think this program, and the job that (hopefully) follows it, are made for me. And this program is brand new, which makes it seem...well, do you ever get the feeling that certain things in the universe are happening just for you? I guess the cosmos are looking out for me.

Plus, I get treats! My mother was in Florida this past week, and it turns out that she and her sisters went to a bead show (and guess who lucked out???). Mom reports that I have a veritable fortune in dichromic glass to play with (yay!), and that I have at least a couple of orders to fill! I can't wait to get my hands on those pretties! (And make them prettier).

Anyways, I have Oscars to watch, as do all of you. Hope your springs come early!
Love B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! You're going to be a GREAT publisher/literary agent/lover of books! Now you can finally be excited about being the guardian of Bethany's Infinite Abyss!