Monday, February 21, 2005

Fuzzy At Best

It's about an hour after midnight, on the first day of Reading Week (no classes, huzzah), and I should be sleeping because I have this indefinite, ill-planned and fuzzily edged day to look forward to with Trish (ex-housemate) tomorrow, where we are going to Niagara. I'm looking forward to it, for a few reasons, including the fact that this will be the first time I'm out and about on my own in that area. I hope that my fuzzy-at-best knowledge of streets and direction in St. Catharines, Niagara-on-the-lake, the falls, and area will keep us from, oh say, driving off the escarpment or something (to make this analogy clearer, I envision Trish and I plummeting a la Aunt Robin in days far past).
I don't know if anyone can understand this (probably imagined) relationship I have with, and feeling I have for this area. There is something special about the place that your family roots are all attached to. I know that the generation before me might focus more fully on Russia being the root-area for us, but I might be just a tad too far removed to agree. St. Kitts is my roots. My mother is so connected with that place, and I love to hear old stories of hers, and to have her point out places that used to be significant to her, even though some of her stories range from long tales, involving old family homes, terrific storms that recall Titanic-like movie effects, and unexpected fowl visitors (are geese fowl? They are, right?), to short (or, more appropriately, abbreviated) tales, like "There was an old condemned house down there where my friends used to go to...what do you want for dinner?"
Right now my mother is in Florida, with her sisters. I am fairly jealous, though friends, books, beads, and lots and lots of TV call to me, and make me look forward to this week. I definitely am not looking forward to the reading that needs to be done over reading week. Bleah- that's the only time I'm going to mention that.
Here's a point that will make you smile, mom; you have sun, and highs of 25 degrees. We just got what looks like about 2 feet of snow! Yay!
Yeah, I just watched a parade of snowplows drive by. Seriously, there were three.
Anyways, I'm rambling. I wish that this week could be pure relaxation, but unfortunately there always seems to be something to focus on. Oh well, the thing that needs focusing upon right now, is sleep. Goodnight, friends. Have a good break, all.

No comments: