Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Quiet evening after a visit home

I've been away the last few days visiting Mom. She has a cold- a sinus thing- so right now I'm taking bets on whether I'll get it or not. I think my odds are pretty good though- I feel fine and I very rarely get sick. VERY rarely. Though I probably just jinxed myself.
It was a good few days and Mom got me a birthday present- a gift certificate to Chapters. She said, when she gave it to me "Some day I'll get you a REAL present for your birthday"...But I don't really get what that means. Her believing that free books is not EXACTLY what I want, at any time, and for any reason, is fairly suspect, and makes me think she's forgotten who I am.
And we went shopping. I got new pillows (I love pillows. Really. Frankly there are more pillows on my bed than there is space for a person. Luckily I'm not that big a person). And I got some funky clothes, and a DVD I've been wanting for a long while. And more books. It was a prosperous trip!
Anyways, I got home and now (well, after I write this), I will study for the test I have tomorrow while watching the movie Amelie (I can't function without background noise, so don't give me that look).
I love that movie. It's clever and pretty and the first time I saw it was a weekend I'd gone back to Sarnia to babysit some girls from my old neighbourhood, and Mom came to their place after I'd put them to bed and we watched Amelie together. Mom complained right at the beginning that she'd forgotten her glasses (it's a subtitled movie), so, thinking she couldn't read the lines, I proceeded to read them to her...through the entire movie. It wasn't until after the film finished that she bothered to tell me that she could read the subtitles, but that she'd let me continue because she thought I'd enjoyed doing it. Which I kind of had, but the news was disconcerting, nevertheless.
Some movies don't have to be good to bring you back over and over, if they carry your own good memories. I guess I'm just lucky that this one is.

No comments: